11 June, 2006

On this Earth: Photographs from East Africa by Nick Brandt (ISBN 0811848655)
I first came across Nick Brandt's work in a 2005 Chronicle Books catalog. Amazed by the grace and beauty his photographs bestowed upon the magnificent beasts roaming the vast Africa, I placed an order for a personal copy. Nick's interview and a showcase of 14 images in the November 2005 issue of Lenswork made me ever more eager. Finally, I got my "elephant" book yesterday. Introduced by renowned primatologist Jane Goodall, this stunning compilation transports the reader to another realm. One of peace and tranquility. A fast disappearing world where animals remain free and noble.

"I get extremely close to these very wild animals, often within a few feet of them. I don't use telephoto lenses. This is because I want to see as much of the sky and landscape as possible--to see the animals within the context of their environment. That way, the photos become as much about the atmosphere of the place as the animals. And being that close to the animals, I get a real sense of intimate connection to them, to the specific animal in front of me. Sometimes a deliberate feeling that they’re almost presenting themselves for a studio portrait." (Nick Brandt, April 2004)

Nick employed a Pentax 6X7 camera for all his photographs. All negatives were scanned and processed "dry room" using Adobe Photoshop. The magnificent panoramic images of the elephant herd was shot separately and later stitched. This is the perfect gift for all wildlife lovers and a great demonstration that beautiful images need not have color. To view more, kindly visit http://www.nickbrandt.com/.

No comments: